Spinach & Artichoke Dip
We read volumes in school about great scientists and their inventions. Most of the objects that we touch in our day-to-day life have a rich history of its own. Somebody invented something and this something triggered an idea in somebody else’s brain and so this somebody did a lot of things over a long period to come up with this something that we use today. On similar lines, have you ever sat down to think who must have invented some of our Indian dishes like ‘Idli’. My gut feeling tells me that it should be some Muthulakshmi in remote India in 100 A.D. She must have heard about this invention call a stone grinder from her next door neighbor kalyanikutti and decided to try this recipe in her kitchen. But how did she figure out how to ferment it or that it had to be steamed any why the round shape!!! In our generation I believe it is fair to say that our creativity is limited to experimenting with known recipes. So here I am – Neither do I know who concocted this dish ‘Spinach & Artichoke’ dip nor do I know how many other ingredients he/she must have tried to get this combination. But for all I care – I love this appetizer and am so sharing it with you all. The best part of this dip is its cheesy taste –i just loved it when i first had it in a restaurant. Also ,you don’t have to tell your husband/kids what it really contains and can count on them liking the taste. You can serve it with bread or chips during snack time. U NEED:
- Frozen chopped spinach -1 box ( 10 ounce)
- Artichoke hearts. - 1 can( 14 ounce)
- Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic cloves - 2
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese - 1 cup
- Grated pepper jack cheese - 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350◦ F. Grease a glass baking dish with nonstick spray.Squeeze all excess liquid from spinach. Put it in a food processor with sour cream, mayonnaise,Parmesan, garlic and pepper . Process until just blended but still slightly lumpy. Drain the artichoke hearts and add to the food prosessor . pulse to form a chunky mixture.put this mixture in to the baking dish and sprinkle the jack cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve it hot with tortilla chips and toasted bread.
- If you r allergic or do not take egg then substitute mayonaise with more sour cream.